9.20.2007

John Soares Seminar - July








So I finally got the pics from the John Soares seminar in July on the computer. It was a relaxing, informative and fun doggy weekend. Alejandra, Cristina and Ale's friend Marc helped sell snacks both days. Above: Champ is doing a hold and bark and then launching for a bite, Cristina is loving up on a visitor's dobie puppy, Lorna is making good use of the sleeves and Cowboy is showing his stuff.

I learned a lot about dog behavior, malinois as a breed and training from John and his mentor, Roberto. I still use the breathing technique to focus Champ while heeling. Talking to Roberto about the breed has really helped me to relax and just write some things off as "mali behavior" and not stress about it. It was interesting during the seminar when John was talking about how dogs are always in the present moment and how we can re-center ourselves in the present by focusing on our breath. That's a concept that is echoed in meditation, my religion, and aikido. It just reiterates to me that no matter what you're doing you can connect to the greater universe by being as present as possible.

No comments: